Today I got the opportunity to sit down and chat with my colleague in our office Dr. Nguyen. Some might think Dr. Nguyen and I would be in competition being that he is a Chiropractor/Acupuncturist and I am a Physical Therapist, but actually we work quite well together in trying to help our patients. I have personally had both chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture and both have been very effective and helpful in relieving pain and promoting healing. I think much of the success one will have has to do with the clinician you are working with. They need to be good at what they do and invested in your care. Most people know quite a lot about chiropractic care but many of us do not know much about acupuncture and the benefits it has in healing the body. I spent time asking Dr Nguyen several questions about acupuncture to give people a better insight to what it is all about. SO let’s talk ACUPUNCTURE!
1. Dr. Nguyen….tell me about acupuncture ….what is it? Why might someone need acupuncture versus chiropractor care?
Acupuncture is a safe, drug-free, and effective way to treat many health system problems. It has been around for 2, 000 plus years and it’s goal is to activate the natural, self-healing abilities of the body. It has the ability to strengthen and support the body to prevent future illness and disease. I insert fine, sterile, and one time use needles into specific points along the body. These points are found along meridians that travel around the body carrying the life force Qi . Meridians are like rivers inside the body. River flows brings nourishment to its destination. Likewise, meridians bring nourishment and energy to our body via the flow of Qi. However, when there is to much Qi or to little Qi flow, due to injuries, toxins, stress, the system become imbalance. By needing in specific points on the meridians, we can balance the Qi and therefore harmonize the body and promote health.
Chiropractic on the other hand, is another approach for treating health related issues and managing pain. But instead of Qi, it focuses on the nerve energy that flows through our bodies. Everyone knows our nervous system controls the entire body. When that nerve flow is blocked, health problems can occur. Imagine watering your garden. What happens when someone steps on the hoes. The water flow decreases and the flowers will not receive 100% of their nourishment and they will wilt. But by using my hands, I can adjust and manipulate the spine and surrounding soft tissues to restore mobility in the joints while also serving to relieve any disruptions within the nervous system. Once again, balancing the body and promoting health. While both therapies can treat pains that plague the neck, back and head. Acupuncture can improve the immunity and treat conditions such as fibromyalgia and carpal tunnel. It can also help relieve insomnia, and reduce stress while bringing emotional balance to patients.
2. How did you decide to become both a chiropractor and acupuncturist? Secretly do you enjoy treating using one over the other? When I was in high school, I developed lock-jaw. I went to my family doctor, but he really couldn’t do anything for me. He referred me to a chiropractor, who was also an acupuncturist. With his help, I was back to eating pain free within 3 weeks. That sparked my interest in the field of holistic healthcare. I really enjoy doing both. They are both have their similarities, their simplicities and the complexities, but most important- they both work.
3. How do you decide when to do acupuncture versus chiropractic care with a patient? Are there times when you do both in a given treatment session? It depends on the condition the patient. If they have a physical problem, meaning if their joint pain, muscle pain stems from mis alignment of the spine, then I would perform chiropractic care on the pain. If their condition were more internal, meaning relating to the organs or emotional distress, then I would start with acupuncture. Yes, sometimes the condition is both physical and internal. Stress and emotional pain can manifest into physical muscle pain. And like-wise, physical pain can lead to emotional pain. That is when it is good to have a practitioner who can perform both chiropractic and acupuncture.
4. What is one thing you think acupuncture can assist with that most people don’t know it can help?
People seldom know that acupuncture can help with infertility and pregnancy support, depression, menopausal related conditions, and digestive issues such as IBS.
5. Why should someone come see you over Dr. Chiro-Acu down the street? What does Dr. Nguyen do that is so unique and special for his patients? I believe I am a doctor of compassion. I empathize with the patients, listen to them, understand them, and make them comfortable. These will give them strengths to overcome their condition.
As you can see Dr. Nguyen is a highly skilled Acupuncturist who also is a Chiropractor….sweet deal! A two for one right! He is highly skilled and very compassionate. Come try out his services and book an appointment with him. You can call our direct office line below to schedule. Personally I can say that he is pretty amazing…I make no suggestions without trying services out myself. Hope this blog helped you learn a little more about ACUPUNCTURE and differences between Acupuncture and Chiropractic Care:)
I hope you enjoyed this BLOG post. Questions? Call our office today M: 424-337-1980 or D: 310-548-5984 or you can email me @email@example.com . You can come visit my website www.drjanaebrownpt.com for further information on our services. You can also LIKE my FB Business Page Physical Therapy San Pedro to receive more info and tips on Health & Wellness.